Did you know that your brain is a reflection of the nutrients it receives from the biochemical information (food) you feed it? Your brain needs nourishment and whether you are upbeat or feeling blue is strongly influenced by how your “second brain” (your digestive tract) digests and absorbs the “information” you are eating. Thus, your mood is a mirror not only of what you eat but also how you digest!
Here are five quick nutrition tips to boost your mood and lift your spirit:
1. Nourish your “mood-cell membranes” with healthy fats such as avocado, wild fatty fish (sardines, wild salmon, or black cod), nuts, seeds, olives, coconut, and smart oils like extra-virgin olive oil.
2. “B-happy” by including whole foods such as beans, dark, leafy green vegetables, and whole grains rich in B-vitamins in your diet.
3. Color your plate with vegetables, fruits, herbs, and spices that deliver a portfolio of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory jewels that keep cells healthy so that positive information can be transmitted without interference from cellular debris.
4. Capitalize on cephalic digestion, which means obtaining maximum nutrition from your meals and snacks by savoring the aesthetic qualities of your food, eating with awareness, and thoroughly chewing every bite.
5. Let the sunshine in—and on—you! Incidental sunlight helps your body manufacture vitamin D, which is vitally important for mood, mind, and memory.