Eight Ayurveda Tips for Weight Loss

Posted on March 24th, 2014 by in Ayurveda

greensby Sarajean Rudman

In a society that constantly inundates us with the next best diet, it can be difficult to stay focused and know what’s actually beneficial and effective for healthy weight loss. Stress is one of the most significant causes of weight gain in our society, so the last thing we need is to stress out about that! Is there a way to lose weight and keep it off—without losing your sanity and jumping from diet to diet, only to relapse and start the cycle again? There is—and it has been road-tested for the last 5,000 years.

Ayurveda, an ancient system of medicine developed in India, is the sister science to yoga. It seeks to prevent disease and promote health, balance, and longevity through simple guidelines that follow the natural rhythms of nature, the seasons, and the time of day.

Here are eight Ayurveda tips that can naturally and gently guide you toward holistic and healthy weight loss, without the use of chemicals, processed food, or extreme diets.

1. Drink a large glass of warm water with organic lemon in it upon waking to stimulate the bowels. This boosts the entire digestive system and gives you a fresh start to your day.
  2. Exercising enough to break a sweat is suggested as a daily morning practice for healthy weight loss; 45-60 minutes is ideal, but even 30 will do. Find an activity that you can do for the rest of your life, or at least for the foreseeable future.
  3. Find five to 10—or more—minutes of peace and relaxation in the morning. Mind/body practices like yoga, meditation, and qi gong elicit a relaxation response in the body. This helps to alleviate stress, one of the main causes of weight gain. It also puts us in a more mindful and present state of mind, allowing us to be better decision-makers as our day proceeds.
  4. Eat three meals a day, with no snacking. Food is a fast-burning fuel, and when your body is given a constant fuel line, it forgets how to burn fat. Have breakfast, a medium-sized meal, between7:30 and 9:00 am. Have lunch, your largest meal, between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. Have dinner, your smallest meal, between 5:30 pm and 8:00 pm, when your digestion is weakest.
  5. Eat with the season, and preferably the region. Through the long, hot days of summer, Mother Nature offers us high-carbohydrate fruits and fresh vegetables to keep us cool and energized. In the fall and winter, the bounty consists of root vegetables, stored nuts, seeds and fruits, heavier meats and cheeses, and stored grains to insulate us from the cold. In the damp days of spring, nature brings us berries, green leafy vegetables, and sprouts to cleanse us from the heavy and acidic winter diet. When we eat as much organic and local food as possible, and feast on seasonal, whole foods, our bodies naturally digest and assimilate nutrients.
  6. Experience all six tastes. In Ayurveda, we recognize six tastes: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent. Be sure to incorporate all six tastes into your daily diet. Sweet, sour and salty tastes are anabolic, or building, in nature and need the pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes, which are catabolic, or burning in nature, to balance them out. Too many sweet, sour, and salty tastes, as seen in the standard American diet, can cause fast weight gain. Foods that are bitter, such as leafy greens; pungent, such as spicy chili peppers; and astringent, such as pomegranate seeds, offer healthy counterpoints to the building nature of the sweet, sour, and salty tastes.
  7. Move a little after each meal. Going for short walks after each meal stimulates peristalsis and digestion. It’s most important to go for a walk after lunch, preferably 10 to 20 minutes at a moderate pace. If possible, lie on your left side after walking for 10 minutes to further aid in digestion.
  8. Go to bed with the sun, and rise with the sun. Tapping into our natural circadian rhythms create a major hormone-balancing effect. Anthropologically speaking, our ancestors had no reason to stay up late at night. They would have slowed down when the sun went down, and maybe sat around a fire or a candle for a while before calling it a day. The screens that we stare at late at night cause stimulation in the brain that keeps us awake and wired after our body naturally wants to slow down. Two hours before bed, start to limit your screen time. Go to bed before 10:00 pm, when we get our second wind. Obtaining a proper seven to nine hours of sleep a night gives the body time to detoxify and reset for the next day, and helps maintain healthy levels of cortisol (a stress-response hormone that causes weight gain).

These eight steps towards natural weight loss can have profound effects on your life. However, it’s vitally important to meet yourself where you are, in order to maintain sanity and not create more stress. Decide if this plan is something you want to take on full throttle, or if just a piece or two could be incorporated into your routine at this time. It’s okay to begin with small steps. Slowly but surely, the wisdom of Ayurveda can help lead you toward stress-free, healthy weight loss.

Sarajean Rudman is a Kripalu Yoga teacher and a graduate of the Kripalu School of Ayurveda Health Counselor program. She has more than a decade of experience in personal training and group fitness.

© Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. All rights reserved. To request permission to reprint, please e-mail editor@kripalu.org.

19 Responses to “Eight Ayurveda Tips for Weight Loss”

1. Rebecca March 24, 2014 11:43 am #

As a working parent, I find it very difficult to eat my largest meal at lunch. I enjoy preparing meals for my family, it’s a major way to show love and connect with each other. But in our society the best way to do this is to sit down together at the dinner table after work and school with the largest meal of the day. I can’t see how to adjust this to follow Ayurvedic recommendations. Any suggestions?

• Sarajean Shakti Rudman March 24, 2014 12:41 pm #

Hi Rebecca,
      I totally understand. Busy schedules make the evening time typically the only time we can all sit together as a family and catch up. My suggestion would be to still keep lunch as your biggest meal of the day, the meal with the most calories. Continue on the path of having a smaller dinner/supper, even if you’re all sitting together and visiting. A light soup, or a big salad would be a great option. Even just smaller portions of your typical dinner fare of whole foods would be fine, just not a huge amount of food right before bed.
      I hope that helped! Spending time together as a family is wonderful and nourishing in and of itself.

2. Samantha March 24, 2014 11:52 am #

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up with the sun, schedule doesn’t allow for it though I’m sure it’s tremendously beneficial, but what can those whose schedule cannot be adjusted do ?

• Sarajean Shakti Rudman March 24, 2014 12:43 pm #

Hi Samantha,
      I suggest doing the best you can do with what you have, and above all making sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep per night to remain healthy, happy, and if you’re trying to lose weight getting enough sleep keeps you on track with that as well. Without knowing your personal situation I can not really suggest much around specific times of sleep/wake, but like I said making sure to get enough sleep is a huge step in the right direction. I hope that helps! Happy resting!!

3. Samwilsono2 April 1, 2014 7:49 am #

Guys u must chkout this unusual method to drop upto three Dress Sizes in less than 7 days http://www.girlyhacks.com/venusfactor

4. Anne Pennington April 24, 2014 5:41 am #

Absolutely right the tip of drinking warm water with lemon in it I have tried it. It really works and the other ayurvedic tips I m going to try!Thanks for sharing this information .

5. chandra May 5, 2014 2:02 am #

Great inspiration, doing exercise and meals are keys when
    you are a full time worker.

6. Raghu July 5, 2014 1:07 pm #

Well I firstly say that you have give very excellent information, however don’t you feel the to do list like what you said eight points seems to be over dosed for one who want to follow. There are many complication and points which may be quite difficult to follow.

What I feel is Ayurveda concept of detoxification would help in a large way to get rid of weight loss. I want every one who searches for Ayurveda solution to get this to be more and more easier to follow and practice, I have my own words on weight loss as per Ayurveda in my blog http://www.ayurvediczone.com/2-best-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-weight-loss, it is explained in very simple and straight forward way.

I understand the explanation you have is too clear and may be more effective, but don’t we feel that people should get much easier way to follow?

7. shaikh July 14, 2014 3:49 am #

contact to “HERBS TREATMENT CENTER” ….8477897897 … weight loss product is completely magical .. i tried guyz plzzz contact its complete Ayurveda n unani .

8. Sachin July 19, 2014 5:30 am #

I have tried out point number 1,2 & 4 it really works only if you regularly follow. The remaining tips need to tested out . I hope it workouts well to.

9. Tim Wilson October 24, 2014 6:18 am #

Very importent weight loss tips.Thank you.

quick weight loss tips

10. Colleen Freeman December 10, 2014 9:44 am #

Wow your article about weight loss is very informative. I’m just glad that I stumbled upon it. Definitely worth reading!

11. rashidha December 26, 2014 5:16 am #

You have provided the useful and helpful natural weight loss tips for us. I like the way you written the post on Weight loss. You have raised such great points to think about.Thanks for sharing.

12. Martin Adam March 7, 2015 1:16 am #

The best way to loss your weight naturally using ayurvedic herbs. Thanks for sharing such nice info. Order Ayurslim online is ayurvedic medicine for weight loss.

13. K S Manoj Hathwar August 25, 2015 8:54 am #

Wonderfull! Very Eager to try it and check the effect! Really wanted to get few tips regarding what food in each of the 6 tastes are ideal to eat?

14. Golden Pharmacyseo September 15, 2015 5:01 am #

Good information about loosing weight. Thanks for your valuable information.”http://www.goldendrugshops.com/?product=liv-slim-see”

15. Vcare Pharmacy September 15, 2015 5:20 am #

V care provides the best medicines online for reducing your fat.

16. Kanika October 13, 2015 9:51 pm #

This is a great article . I used to be really healthy (weight wise and fat percentage wise) however , in the last 8 – 9 months i have put on 20 pounds , a fat percentage of 40% . I am realllly active and eat really well but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately , I am more active / hungry during later half of the day . Do you know if following ayurvedic remedies could help me ? are there ayurvedic ways to find out what could be happening with my weight?