By Sarajean Rudman For those of us who work in office settings, spending eight or more hours a day sitting still in front of a screen can leave us out of balance, overstimulated, and disconnected from the rhythms of nature. But don’t worry, there’s hope! Living an Ayurvedic lifestyle doesn’t mean that you have to […]
By Tiffany Cruikshank Yoga plays an important role in detoxification. It cleanses impurities and restores balance to both body and mind. It’s vital that you supply your body with proper nutrients before and after yoga. Before Yoga When you do yoga first thing in the morning, practice on an empty stomach. Or you can take […]
Time-honored techniques to thaw winter’s chill Winter brings the festive sparkle of the holidays; fresh, snowy vistas; exhilarating outdoor sports … and, for many people, lethargy, dry skin, and runny noses. How can we keep up our spirits—and our health—when it’s so easy to let Old Man Winter bring us down? Ayurveda, the holistic-health system […]
Here, at Kripalu, there are nutritional tenets that substantiate our approach to food. By applying these principles, you can enjoy your food in healthful ways that promote well-being.
- Eat whole, fresh, unprocessed foods—seasonal, organic, and local, whenever possible.
- Eat a diet that is founded on proven nutritional science.
- Eat foods that promote good digestion and support your gut flora.
- Avoid foods you are allergic to or intolerant of.
- Eat foods that taste good, and allow your taste buds time to get used to new foods.
- Eat in rhythm—three meals or five to six mini-meals scheduled at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Eat until you are no more than two-thirds full.
- Eat in a relaxed state.
- Stay happily hydrated.
- Eat foods you cook!