Benefits of the bacteria in our digestive tract, also referred to as gut microflora, have gotten a lot of attention in the scientific community lately—and therefore the professional nutrition and supplement communities as well. The science is fascinating, but what does it really mean for you? First, what is gut microflora? Also known as gut […]
By Reyna Eisenstark One Saturday morning not long ago, I was eating a toasted sesame bagel with butter and a big mug of coffee, when suddenly it occurred to me that maybe I was doing everything all wrong. This was the sort of ordinary breakfast that everyone used to eat, but now the idea of […]
Three years ago, I went on vacation and suffered a horrible bout of food poisoning that left me with a relentless and debilitating intestinal problem. I was lethargic, I gained weight, and I had to go to the bathroom constantly. I went from doctor to doctor looking for a solution, to no avail. I tried […]
Here, at Kripalu, there are nutritional tenets that substantiate our approach to food. By applying these principles, you can enjoy your food in healthful ways that promote well-being.
- Eat whole, fresh, unprocessed foods—seasonal, organic, and local, whenever possible.
- Eat a diet that is founded on proven nutritional science.
- Eat foods that promote good digestion and support your gut flora.
- Avoid foods you are allergic to or intolerant of.
- Eat foods that taste good, and allow your taste buds time to get used to new foods.
- Eat in rhythm—three meals or five to six mini-meals scheduled at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Eat until you are no more than two-thirds full.
- Eat in a relaxed state.
- Stay happily hydrated.
- Eat foods you cook!