Five-Day Panchakarma Retreat
Restores your body, mind, and spirit to a natural state of balance.
Indulge yourself in a five-day regimen designed to restore your body, mind, and spirit to its natural state of balance. Panchakarma is an ancient Ayurvedic cleansing and rejuvenation practice that works to restore natural balance and instill a sense of calm right down to the cellular level. An integral component of an Ayurvedic approach to health and well-being, panchakarma was traditionally recommended as an annual practice.
During your individualized experience, our Ayurvedic practitioners will assess your dosha, (basic Ayurvedic body-mind constitution), identify imbalances, and guide you through specific treatments—all designed to alleviate excess energies that have built up in the body and could lead to disease. We follow authentic Ayurvedic traditions, including daily body treatments with two therapists, soothing candles, fresh flowers, background chanting, and the use of cleansing and rejuvenating oils and herbs.
Your panchakarma experience will begin prior to your arrival with a half-hour introductory phone consultation with an Ayurvedic practitioner. At that time, in preparation for your stay, you will be given a two-week home cleansing program that includes diet modification, daily routines, herbs, and a mild oil cleanse.
Once you arrive at Kripalu, your program includes
- An introductory presentation and review of the five-day program (Sunday evening)
- Individual assessment by an Ayurvedic practitioner (Sunday or Monday)
- Lectures on Ayurvedic principles and how they apply to various constitutions (Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Daily Ayurvedic body treatments consisting of one or more of the following: full-body massage with herbalized oil; herbal paste massage; sweat treatment; and/or shiro- dhara-warm herbalized oil gently applied in a stream over the forehead
- Self-administered medicated enemas
- A specially-prepared cleansing diet (all week)
- Kripalu Yoga classes and other amenities.
You will also receive a personalized home program including food, herbal recommendations, exercise, and treatment plan to help maintain balance for your particular body type on an ongoing basis, with advice for seasonal modifications. Please note that the entire cleansing process can take up to 28 days and requires the complete involvement of each participant.
During my stay, I received incredible support from each staff member and was pampered beyond belief with catered meals, individual consultations, and exquisite health services. I discovered the unique healing properties of foods, oils, herbs, and massage, and I left with wonderful take-home tools to keep my body balanced throughout the year.
—Jo Ann L.
Note An informational health application is required for participation in panchakarma; please call Reservations to have one sent to you. You may also download application materials. Due to the cleansing nature of the week, a private room with bath is highly recommended. Check-in begins Sunday afternoon; check-out is noon on Friday.