Lewis Mehl-Madrona, MD, graduated from Stanford University School of Medicine and trained in family medicine, psychiatry, and clinical psychology. He has been on the faculties of several medical schools, most recently as associate professor of…
Full Bio & Programs
Almost all indigenous cultures had direct, hands-on methods of healing, and the Cherokee were no exception. Learn the Cherokee art of healing touch, a form of bodywork that is rarely encountered today. The workshop includes
- Supervised practice of Cherokee bodywork
- Cherokee breathwork techniques, as a means of restoring spirit to all parts of the body
- The incorporation of imagery and dialogue into bodywork
- The importance of ceremony, ritual, and intent in bodywork
- Osteopathic or “manipulative” medicine as a means of dialogue with the body
- Cherokee use of acupressure, energy meridians, crystals, and energy medicine
- A fire ceremony (weather permitting).
As we complete our time together with a prayer ritual, we ask for a blessing on the healing work we have done and the continuing journey that lies before us.
Note Lewis invites massage therapists and bodyworkers as well as those without prior bodywork experience to this program, saying, “Some will want to practice giving more and some receiving more. It’s definitely a more indigenous way of teaching, but it works.” This program can accommodate people with serious illness.
- 23.5 credits for Yoga Alliance (YA), $30 additional charge
- 23.5 credits for Massage and Body Workers (NCBTMB), $30 additional charge
- 23.5 credits for Athletic Trainers (BOC), $30 additional charge
- room & meals pricing
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
Rates below reflect total housing costs for all program nights.
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $565 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $860 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More