Relax and Renew: Learning to Teach Restorative Yoga
Judith Hanson Lasater, PhD, is a physical therapist who has been teaching yoga since 1971. Judith has trained students and teachers in almost every state and abroad, is one of the founders of Yoga Journal…
Full Bio & Programs
For yoga teachers and serious students.
We work hard in our lives and, while we might sleep, we rarely take time to rest. Restorative yoga poses help us relax and rest deeply and completely, benefiting the body’s organ systems.
In this 30-hour training, learn the art and skill of teaching restorative yoga, including
- The physiology of relaxation
- The physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of restorative yoga
- Special poses for menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause
- How to sequence and teach a restorative yoga class.
Measurable results of relaxation include reduction of blood pressure, muscle tension, and fatigue, and improvement of immune function, digestion, fertility, and elimination.
Required text Judith Hanson Lasater, Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times. (Please bring this to class every day.)
Required reading Malcolm Gladwell, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. You will be sent an additional required reading packet approximately eight weeks before the training.
Recommended reading Jonathan Haidt, The Happiness Hypothesis.
Note Restorative yoga, and learning to teach restorative yoga, requires many props. This course requires a minimum of a sticky mat, one firm bolster, five yoga blankets, a hand towel, and two blocks. As the course date draws closer, registered participants will be informed of how many of these props Kripalu may be able to provide; participants will be responsible for bringing the additional props needed.
If you wish to be certified as a Relax and Renew® Trainer, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Attend all sessions (no exceptions; please do not schedule your flight at a time that requires you to leave the workshop early);
- Complete a project to be submitted by mail approximately eight weeks after the workshop;
- Include $125 check (US funds only) at the time of submission of the project to cover the certificate, the time spent grading the project, and a lifetime listing on restorativeyogateachers.com.
- 28 credits for Athletic Trainers (BOC), $30 additional charge
- 28 credits for Yoga Alliance (YA), $30 additional charge
- room & meals pricing
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
Rates below reflect total housing costs for all program nights.
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $575 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $875 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More