Kripalu Yoga in the Schools Teacher Training
Enrich the lives of adolescents through the transformative power of yoga.
For educators and yoga teachers interested in bolstering their skills and enriching the lives of high school students through yoga.
Unmanaged stress is linked to a variety of adolescent challenges, including poor academic performance, substance abuse, risky sexual behaviors, obesity, depression, and anxiety. Research performed by the Kripalu Institute for Extraordinary Living’s Yoga in the Schools initiative reveals that yoga can be a profound vehicle for cultivating adolescents’ self-knowledge, self-acceptance, and self-expression.
This training provides
- Practical guidance on how to effectively partner with high schools, nonprofits, and after-school programs serving teens
- A scientifically validated yoga curriculum appropriate for high school physical education and health classes, or extracurricular settings
- Developmentally appropriate lesson plans outlining the introduction of postures; centering, breathing, and relaxation techniques; and key yoga concepts
- An exploration of the teen experience through role-playing, discussion, and lectures on adolescent development
- Verbal cues appropriate for adolescent practitioners
- Opportunities to practice teaching in a simulated classroom environment.
Kripalu Yoga in the Schools Teacher Training is open to 200-hour certified yoga teachers from any Yoga Alliance-approved tradition. Apply online now!
Janna Delgado, BFA, E-RYT 500, is Program Leader for the Kripalu Yoga in the Schools (KYIS) project with the Institute for Extraordinary Living and cofacilitator of KYIS teacher trainings. She has focused on enriching the lives of adolescents through yoga since 2008, combining her experience as a Kripalu Yoga teacher, Ayurvedic Yoga Specialist, and AFAA-certified fitness instructor with her background in acting to create meaningful collective experiences of yoga on the mat and in the world. Janna is also a faculty member for Kripalu Healthy Living programs.
Iona M. Smith, MEd, CYT 500, is Program Leader for Kripalu Yoga in the Schools (KYIS) with the Institute for Extraordinary Living. She is cocreator of the KYIS curriculum, cofacilitator of KYIS teacher trainings, and a yoga educator in KYIS research studies. Iona holds a master’s degree in education from Harvard University and a 500-hour yoga teacher’s certification from the Nosara Yoga Institute in Costa Rica. She is an R&R Retreat faculty member at Kripalu.