200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
firstname.lastname@example.org | 800.848.8702
Awaken the teacher within.
What will you learn?
With more than 30 years of experience in training yoga teachers, Kripalu knows that the most authentic teaching comes from deep personal experience. At Kripalu, you are guided by our expert faculty and guest teachers, study our 21 foundational asanas (postures) and five core pranayama (yogic-breathing) techniques, explore yoga philosophy, learn anatomy, practice teaching , and so much more.
Empower your students and provide tools for personal growth.
As a Kripalu graduate you will head into the world confident and ready to lead grounded, safe, and inspired gentle and moderate Kripalu Yoga classes. You also learn how to offer modifications, posture options, clarification of contraindications, and how to create a complete series of classes with progressive levels of difficulty.
Philosophy. As a 200-Hour Kripalu Yoga teacher, you gain a deeper personal relationship to yoga philosophy, with an emphasis on integrating Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the teachings of Swami Kripalu.
Principles of anatomy and physiology. Focus on safety, joint movement, range of motion, and a functional understanding of skeletomuscular systems and structures.
Pranayama. Enable students to experience body-mind integration and purification through yogic breathing. Learn and practice creative ways of incorporating various pranayama techniques into your posture sequences.
Relaxation and meditation. Gain skills for centering yourself and your students. Create a safe space for fostering inward focus, guiding meditation, and cultivating deep relaxation (Savasana).
The Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training 200-Hour Certification includes both a solid grounding in technical skills and the development of an empathic, intuitive approach to teaching. It prepares you with the foundation to teach any population to which you feel called. You graduate a certified yoga teacher with a solid foundation and the tools you need to support your ongoing personal evolution and excellence in teaching.
Graduates of Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training are in great demand for their in-depth knowledge, clear instruction, intuitive insights, and ability to guide students to the experience of inner peace that is the true essence of yoga. Kripalu Yoga teachers range in age from their 20s to 80s and can be found in community yoga studios; in urban and rural areas; in schools, prisons, and hospitals; and at workplaces from the United Nations to Cirque du Soleil. Because Kripalu supports individual inquiry and expression, the places you find our teachers are as varied as the teachers themselves.
The Kripalu teaching model incorporates many tools and techniques that guide students through their own journey as a teacher, allowing each graduate to emerge with a “tool bag” of foundational skills and knowledge. Kripalu graduates are prepared to take their teaching career to a wide variety of populations and environments.
Kripalu Yoga Tools and Techniques
In your training you’ll start by being introduced to some of the hallmarks of the Kripalu approach, including
- The three stages of Kripalu Yoga: posture focus, deepening awareness, and meditation in motion
- Natural alignment principles
- Pranayama (breathing techniques)
- Pratapana (movements that warm up and condition the body for sustaining poses)
- Creative sequencing
- Nonjudgmental awareness
- Breath coordinated with movement
- Guided imagery
- The koshas.
As an approach, Kripalu Yoga emphasizes
- Movement inquiries
- Finding and exploring one’s edge
- Prana-initiated movement
- Off-the-mat applications of yoga practice, including skillfulness in action
- Reliance on personal experience, body sensations, and naturally occurring wisdom
- Yoga as a practical, reliable approach to health and fulfillment.
Minimum content hours (as determined by Yoga Alliance) include
|Techniques: Instruction in Yoga Asana, Pranayama, and Meditation||100 hours|
|Teaching Methodology||30 hours|
|Anatomy and Physiology||20 hours|
Textbooks and Materials
On the first day of training, students receive a complimentary Kripalu Yoga Teacher 200-hour manual. Additional recommended texts include
- Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat, by Richard Faulds
- Anatomy of Movement (Revised Edition), by Blandine Calais-Germain
These books can be purchased through the Kripalu Shop Online.
Dates and Costs
The total cost of the training will be determined by the tuition plus your choice of accommodations. Please contact Registrations for detailed information about accommodations at 866.200.5203.
If your preference is private accommodations, we strongly recommend submitting your application as early as possible as they are limited in availability.
Programs begin at 7:00 pm on opening night and end by noon on the final day. Monthlong sessions typically have one day off each week.
Tuition: $2,675, plus accommodations.
- February 19–March 17, 2017
- Yoganand Michael Carroll and Kari Harendorf
- May 28–June 23, 2017
Jurian Hughes and Jennifer Reis
- June 25–July 21, 2017
Coby Kozlowski and Michelle Dalbec
- July 23–August 18, 2017
Yoganand Michael Carroll and Larissa Hall Carlson
- October 15–November 10, 2017
Rudy Pierce, Michelle Dalbec, and Steven Leonard
Two 12-Day Sessions Format
Tuition: $2,675, plus accommodations. Part 1 and Part 2 must be taken together as listed below.
Programs begin at 7:00 pm on opening night and end at noon on the final day of each session. Each session runs for twelve days consecutively with no days off. There will be homework assignments to complete between sessions.
- March 26–April 7, 2017 Part 1 and June 4–16, 2017 Part 2
Brahmani Liebman and Jashoda Edmunds
- November 26–December 8, 2017 Part 1 and January 21–February 2, 2018 Part 2
Larissa Hall Carlson and Cristie Newhart
Other Fees and Costs
In addition to the total program cost, there is a $25 application fee (required at the time of application) and the cost of texts recommended for the program (currently estimated at approximately $60, and subject to change).
When you train with the Kripalu Schools of Yoga and Ayurveda, you benefit from a unique immersion experience in our beautiful retreat center setting. While you’re here, you develop tools to cultivate health, create community, and encourage a quest for knowledge. We offer a variety of accommodation options to support your experience and budget needs, ranging from dormitories to private rooms.
Student and Faculty Testimonials
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I required to stay at Kripalu during the program?
While you are not required to stay at Kripalu during your training program, the residential aspect supports both the curriculum and your ability to fully participate in the rigorous schedule. This training is designed to give you time away from the regular day-to-day demands of your life and allow you to be in an environment that fully supports a yogic lifestyle. The immersion experience, which our teacher trainings are known for, brings your training to a depth that would otherwise be unattainable. In addition, by staying at Kripalu Center, you will facilitate the development of lifelong connections with fellow students.
Is there a written test that must be passed for certification?
Throughout the training, you will be evaluated verbally and in writing on the material presented. These evaluations are designed to ascertain where you need additional study or support. Your certification is not contingent upon these evaluations. The practice-teach sessions are the determining factor for whether or not a student will graduate. Being able to successfully and safely deliver a complete Kripalu Yoga class to a group of your fellow students is a requirement for certification.
How much time will I need to study outside of the program schedule?
Each day there will be reading assignments to support your learning within the program. The amount of time this reading takes will depend upon the assignment and the individual. There may also be time needed outside of program time to prepare for your practice teach sessions.
Is there credit for training completed outside of Kripalu Center?
For the Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training 200-hour, our curriculum is predefined and comprehensive: it needs to be completed in its entirety for you to become a 200-hour certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Therefore, there is not the ability to transfer credit or hours from other programs towards this training.
Will I have an opportunity to participate in activities at Kripalu Center during the training?
Due to the intensive nature of this program, it may be difficult to participate in other Kripalu evening events or receive Healing Arts services. Healing Arts sessions may be scheduled on your arrival or departure days. There will be some evenings off during which you can schedule healing arts or attend an evening concert or other event. Please wait to receive your program schedule at the beginning of your training before booking Healing Arts appointments.
Can I invite friends and family to graduation?
Graduation is open only to program participants and attendance is mandatory. We do have an informal celebration held toward the end of the program that family and friends are invited to attend. You will receive more information about this during your program.
Still have questions?
For more information about Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training, call 800.848.8702 or e-mail email@example.com.
Admissions to the programs are determined on a rolling basis. Given high program demand, a maximum number of students per training, and limited housing availability, we strongly recommend that applicants submit applications as soon as possible (two–four months prior to the program start). Trainings typically fill to capacity about one month in advance.
We rely on information provided in the application to make informed decisions about your capacity to fully participate in and benefit from all aspects of the program. Please answer the questions honestly and completely. Providing inaccurate or incomplete information may result in a declined admissions decision or removal from the program without refund. The Kripalu Schools of Yoga and Ayurveda do not discriminate in admissions, administration, or educational policies with regard to race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, creed, or religion.
- Review information on program dates, costs, faculty, curricula, certification criteria, and general information about Kripalu on our website.
- Complete the appropriate application for the program for which you are applying in its entirety, including the short-answer questions. Be sure to indicate your preferred program dates. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Kripalu reserves the right to require a phone interview or take other steps to supplement your application, if needed, in order to arrive at an informed admissions decision.
- Include a passport-sized headshot. This will not be considered in the screening process; however, it will help us begin to cultivate a relationship with you prior to your arrival. You are welcome to submit a headshot upon acceptance into the program.
- Submit the $25 application fee by credit card at the end of the online application process. You may also pay by check, see below. For international applicants, checks must be drawn on a domestic bank. If you prefer to make a payment by credit card over the phone, please call the Kripalu Schools of Yoga and Ayurveda at 800.848.8702.
- You will be notified of your admissions decision via e-mail within two to four weeks of receipt of your application. If you do not have an e-mail address, we will send your admissions decision by regular mail and also call you to inform you of your status.
- Maximum capacity for each program date ranges from 50–64 students. If you are accepted in the training and the course you are interested in is full, you may register for the waitlist, which will remain open until the program’s start, or you may register for any training date within one year of your acceptance.
Application Fee by Check
If you prefer to pay your application fee by check, make checks payable to Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, and indicate the program and date you applied for on the check.
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
Schools of Yoga and Ayurveda
PO Box 309
Stockbridge, MA 01262
Fax: 413.448.3384 ATTN: KSYA
Please note To submit this scholarship application, you must also submit a program application or have already been accepted into a program. Scholarship applications will not be reviewed until the applicant is accepted into a program.